Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World News

Petronas units in Luxembourg seized again in $15 bln arbitration dispute

 – Luxembourg court bailiffs issued fresh seizure orders for two units of Malaysian state oil firm Petronas this week, following a bid by descendants of a former sultanate to enforce a $15-billion award they had won against Malaysia, according to the heirs’ lawyer and court documents seen by Reuters.

The Filipino heirs of the last Sultan of Sulu are seeking to enforce a $14.9-billion award granted to them by a French arbitration court last year, amid a long-running dispute with the Malaysian government over a colonial-era land deal.

Malaysia, which did not participate in the arbitration, maintains the process is illegal. It obtained a stay on the award in France but the ruling remains enforceable overseas under a United Nations treaty on arbitration.

Petronas has said it will contest any claims made on its assets and Malaysia has vowed to use all legal measures to prevent its assets, including state-linked companies, from being seized overseas.

The Petronas Azerbaijan (Shah Deniz) and Petronas South Caucasus units were first seized in July 2022, but the Malaysian government said last month that the order had been set aside by a Luxembourg district court.

On Tuesday, Luxembourg court bailiffs issued a second seizure order on the units and related bank accounts, court documents shared by the heirs’ lawyer, Paul Cohen, showed.

Cohen, of British law firm 4-5 Gray’s Inn Square, told Reuters the Luxembourg district court had indeed lifted the first seizure order on a minor issue that has since been addressed, but had not made a judgment on the merits of the arbitration.

“There was a technical ruling that has now been effectively dealt with, and the freezing orders are once more in place on the Petronas assets in Luxembourg,” he said via email.

The Luxembourg court could not be immediately reached for comment. Petronas and Malaysia’s law minister did not respond to requests for comment.

The dispute stems from a deal signed in 1878 between two European colonists and the Sultan of Sulu for use of his territory in present-day Malaysia – an agreement that independent Malaysia honored until 2013, paying the monarch’s descendants a token sum annually.

Kuala Lumpur stopped the payments after a bloody incursion by supporters of the former sultanate who wanted to reclaim land from Malaysia. The heirs say they were not involved in the incursion and sought arbitration over the suspension of payments. – Reuters

    You May Also Like

    Business

    The head of the International Monetary Fund has warned of increased risks to the stability of the financial system after weeks of banking sector...

    Business

    1.22 billion people use Instagram every month. That’s a huge number of Instagrammers trying to hit it big on the platform all at the...

    Business

    Since the rise of online casinos, cybersecurity has become a major concern for both casino operators and players alike. The transactions that go around...

    Business

    The Home Office has made next to no progress in tackling criminal fraud during the past five years, despite it having become Britain’s most...

    Disclaimer: rightdecisionnow.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2023 rightdecisionnow.com | All Rights Reserved